How the biggest consumer apps got their first 1,000 users
Another great essay from Lenny Rachitsky, ex Growth PM @ Airbnb, who collected first-hand accounts of how essentially every major consumer app acquired their earliest users, including lessons from Tinder, Uber, Superhuman, TikTok, Product Hunt, Netflix, and many more.
His biggest takeaways from this research:
1. Just seven strategies account for every consumer apps’ early growth.
2. Most startups found their early users from just a single strategy.
3. The most popular strategies involve going to your user directly — online, offline, and through friends. Doing things that don’t scale.
4. To execute on any of these strategies, it’s important to first narrowly define your target user.
5. The tactics that you use to get your first 1,000 users are very different from your next 10,000.
Read more in the link below.
How the biggest consumer apps got their first 1,000 users - Issue 25