He isn't much famous outside Italy, but there is a painter that managed to combine the most sublime techniques with the most overwhelming expressivity. I'm talking about Michelangelo Merisi da Caravaggio (Simply know as "Caravaggio", in order to avoit confusion with Michelangelo Buonarroti), or the most revolutionary painter of history.
Here is an example of his genius, "Judith beheading Holofernes". It was inspired by a biblical episode, when Judith seduced Holofernes, an oppressive Syrian general, and she beheaded him, liberating her people.
He's an example of how a painter can be expressive without being trivial, and technical without being boring.
Most of my teenage years I used to be super shy with no self confidence at all. I remember having a mindset: “I will not start a conversation myself and only start speaking when someone asks me something or starts talking with me”
I had a terrible fixed mindset and thought I will always be like this.
Looking back at what helped me to crawl out of this hole, there were many things, but what layed the foundation was books on self development.
I still remember so vividly how I went to the library and borrowed my first book which was called “Self-confidence”.
After finishing that one book, I gained a whole new perspective and realized “wow, I can actually learn how to be better at social situations”.
Ever since reading that first book, I have been an avid reader, always trying to improve myself on every aspect of life, whether it is social, mental, financial, physical - you name it. There is just so much wisdom in books that can improve your life.
So my idea for you - if you have a teenage relative, friend, siblings etc. Gift them a book on personal development - my recommendation: D. Carnegie - “How to win friends and influence people”.
Best case scenario is that you may change their life forever, worst case scenario is that they won’t read it :)
What are you afraid to do but know you should?
Everyone has fears. Some have more than others.
I have always had many fears in my life: fear of failure, embarrasing myself, etc...
One mindset that has really helped me to face fears is this:
“Feel the fear and do it anyway!”
Because, what we fear doing most, is usually what we most need to do!
I was terrified of taking a sales job at 19 years old, but I knew that was something that would be most beneficial for me in that moment to grow as a person.
I remember my first day at the job. I got only 2-3 hours of sleep the night before because I was so anxious and excited at the same time. And then making that first sales approach - I was afraid, but I still did it and it actually went pretty well. And as they say, the more you face your fears, the easier it gets.
So next time you feel fear. Remember: “Feel the fear and do it anyway!”
The Story about The Old and Creative Man
A few days passed and the young man approached the old man again.
- Can I ask you another question ? How can I improve my thinking?
The old man smiled:
- Here is something very basic my son. We don’t think in words and phrases. We think only in pictures and images.
Words are the raw materials of thought. When spoken or read, that amazing instrument, the mind, automatically converts words and phrases into mind pictures.
If someone tells you “Jonas bought a new telephone” you see one picture. But if you are told, “Jonas bought a new house with a swimming pool” you see another picture.
So if you want to improve your thinking my boy, you should create positive, forward – looking, optimistic pictures in your own mind.
- Do you mean to imagine things?
- Exactly! Imagination – it’s the
beautiful ability that we humans have. It’s even more important than knowledge.
- Why do you say that?
- Because knowledge is limited, while imagination circles the world without end!
I'll give you an example. Let’s imagine a bird. And now imagine a bird wearing a dress. Do you see it?
- Yes I see it, but it is weird.
- No matter, the important thing is that you see it. You have probably never seen a bird wear a dress before in real life, so there is no neuronal ensemble for that in your brain, but yet you will be able to imagine it – this is a very unique and complex human trait. When we imagine two of these familiar objects together, we can come up with something we have never ever seen before.
- I still don’t understand. Why is it useful to see a bird with a dress ?
- Oh my young boy! You are asking me about how to improve thinking and I am answering you that you should look at things not AS THEY ARE, but AS THEY CAN BE.
A big thinker always visualizes what can be done in the future.
He isn’t stuck with the present. By using IMAGINATION he adds VALUE to everything.
It's like a great producer who hears a simple melody of piano and can imagine and hearing the whole orchestra playing together.
- And If I tell you that I don’t have this capacity to imagine?
- So my Boy you go and train yourself !!!
You do 100 hundred Mind Maps and I swear you will become a master of imagination!