How much out of your way would you go just because of hunger?
No matter what plans you might have there is always considerations popping into your mind just because some hormone is signaling your brain that your stomach is currently empty. How crazy is that? Talk about free will.
I frequently fast for 36 hours and feeling great, with latest fast ending without even being hungry at the end of it. You really feel in control without mood swings based on hunger.
Make no mistake though - I do reach my calorie targets over the week. There is no benefit in starving yourself.
Eating becomes a treat every time, you take satisfaction from taste and not from stuffing yourself and suppressing some hormone. Eat to enjoy quality food, while skipping meals when you can't access some. Not only you'll end up happier - you'll contribute to your longevity both from metabolic perspective and also mental.
Change in life does not come without change in choice. Big changes in life may cause a lot of stress and we tend to avoid that making compromises. This is not inherently wrong, stress is never good for you, but neither is avoiding change.
Losing weight and improving your overall well-being is a perfect example of compromises with change. You have a very clear goal, but either make too many/wrong compromises or commit entirely and burn-out from stress.
Here are some simple incremental compromises to increase your life quality and get healthier:
1. Avoid stress, everything malfunctions while we are stressed out.
2. Start intermittent fasting. Ease out to it, start with coffee with a teaspoon of butter/coconut/mct oil in the morning to stay satiated and skip lunch. That alone would be huge for your body and mental clarity.
3. Eat less processed foods. Choose high quality ingredients and make real food at home or eat out at places that do.
4. Exercise. Even 30mins a day, three times a week makes a huge difference, especially when done while fasting.
5. Break free of sugar/fructose addiction. This one is huge both in effort required and health/mental benefits once you do skip sweet foods.
Sugar and fructose is poison and makes you addicted as bad as cocaine.
Scientist of the field knew long ago what high carb diet entails, but "common sense" and beliefs of self proclaimed specialists made this low fat trend escalate to a disastrous level.